Monday, May 30, 2016

30 May 2016



Laird Hamilton doesn't use sunscreen, claiming that if one were to read the ingredients list, it would sound like a chemistry lab (or a package of whole wheat bread).  I keep my sunscreen use to a minimum, aiming instead to eat gobs of coconut oil and healthy fats.  A week ago I did get sunburned at the beach, which is why my arms and upper back appear to be dandelions spreading their seeds.   To counter the sunburn headache/flu symptoms, I try to ingest NSAIDs (tons of them, because I hate my liver and stomach), more vitamin D, coconut oil and seltzer mixed with lemon juice.  Yesterday we went to St. Andrews State Park, but did not get the early morning sun, so my tan is going strong.  Now I just need to switch to wearing quick-dry speedo-style swim suits so I can even out my tan  on my hairy and white thighs.

Made it to the gym today and am feeling it in my knees.  Squatting is challenging, but I am making slow progress since October.  Thanks to reddit.com/ketogains, I reprogrammed my workouts to align with Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength 3x5.  My running is coming back via a step-wise program that started with a 5:00 walk/1:00 jog for 5 rounds and worked up to the inverse, so last week I was walking for 1:00 and jogging for five.  Next up is jogging for a slow pace continuously for 15 minutes.

On a more technical and geeky note, I updated my Dell Inspiron to Lubuntu 16.04, so now my trackpad mouse cursor hides every so often.  I upgraded my ancient Asus Eee PC from Ubuntu 14.04 to 15.10 to 16.04 and then felt like it couldn't run Unity.  So I tried various desktops, but wanted to give it a full reinstall.  Now I am dealing with a failed init file and trying to reinstall the operating system for the umpteenth time, while searching "lubuntu won't boot because of..." in Chromium.


No comments:

Post a Comment