Monday, June 6, 2016

6 June 2016



This week my fix was turning my ASUS EeePC 1005HAB from 2010 (a $250 steal at Best Buy in Herndon) from a RAM hogging Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity into a usable machine with Lubuntu 16.04.  However, I couldn't just install Lubuntu over the OS but had to install it beside Ubuntu.  I got a bunch of text of the screen, something to the tune of this.  It's nice to know others are going through what you are experiencing, because otherwise I wanted to reinstall a whole new operating system.  So I booted into recovery mode and then followed these instructions to finish installing packages that were incomplete.  I've  been a long time reddit lurker, but this post almost made me get a login.

...and  then



my screen resolution was only 600x800.  I thought, "Is this 1998?"  Apparently the GRUB etc file needed to be fixed, so I followed these instructions.

...and I still am enjoying my mouse cursor hiding every so many minutes, meaning I need to hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get it back.  My next adventure will be learning more about Linux via this site.

I guess most regular want an iPad that just works rather than spend days searching forums for solutions to fix a six year old netbook to sit next to an even older laptop.  

No comments:

Post a Comment