Saturday, July 16, 2016

16 July 2016

With a netbook that isn't letting me use a GUI (error starting Light desktop manager), I've been learning about how to use the command line to attempt to recover my system.  Which means I've been searching the internets for such key phrases as "recover Ubuntu system without that USB live key I so desperately need" and "restore system state to a few nights ago when things worked and before I installed a bunch of applications i don't need" and "enable wifi command line nmcli wlan0 oh god why won't this thing work."

Some of the commands I've had the misfortune to use include:
- dpkg
- nmcli
- apt-get autoremove
- apt-get purge
- grep
- cat

Needless to say, best I can do is get to a command line after wandering through the recovery console.  So, I thought why not try to email or blog directly from the command line?  Turns out both are more complicated than for which I have patience.  which lead me to installing a full version of vim and then staring at the screen thinking, "This is no DOS edit.exe.". So I installed nano, edited the nanorc configuration file to wrap and chowned the nano history folder from root back to myself.

Now I just need to think of something worth typing.

No comments:

Post a Comment