Friday, July 8, 2016

8 July 2016

I love books.  One of my oldest friends gave me a Kindle paperwhite for a birthday gift a few years ago, which I rarely use because reading books feels more real to me.  I enjoy the tactile sensation of flipping through the pages and moving my eyes across the printed words.  The same connection with the story does not come across with ebooks or audio books.  The only ebook that comes close is Warren Ellis' Cunning Plans.  I started reading a sample on my Kindle last year about this time and figured $1.99 for a book was a steal.  The book is a collection of his talks about technology, the past and the future of how humans interact with technology and the world.  Rewinding a bit, I enjoy reading the "I'm X and This is How I Work" on lifehacker.  Well I read Warren Ellis' interview a year ago and have been reading his blog and have subscribed to his Sunday newsletter since.  If the bald head, beard and skulls don't do it for you, nothing will.  Another interesting HIW article is Cory Doctorow, which lead me to buy widgy bars.

Anyway, books and lists of books.  I've added a widget that shows the books I'm reading (assuming I've updated my Goodreads account recently...) and played with the layout to make it darker, like coffee and my Ikea desk at home.  If you want to add widget to your blog, specifically Goodreads stuff, check out this useful fella.  


No comments:

Post a Comment