Wednesday, July 20, 2016

20 July 2016

"When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes."
- Erasmus

I love going to local used book stores.  Many of the ones I've seen in the past few years have a special shelf or table of local authors, which most of the time I don't really care about.  Occasionally I'll find a gem, like last week when I found a used paperback copy of The Martian for eight bucks.  I read it in two days.  Thrift stores are great, too, and I started my first Cory Doctorow book, Little Brother, a few days ago, which I picked up for twenty five cents at a local thrift store.  I think the book is (hopefully) farfetched insofar as what the DHS would do to some kids who like to subvert weakly secured operating systems and play video games.  The book does make me think about encryption for personal use and rebuying Bunnie Huang's book, Hacking the Xbox.  The only encryption I use on a daily basis is https, Lastpass and Crashplan.  The other great thing about Mr. Doctorow is his website on which he gives many of his books away for free.  That, combined with Calibre, enabled me to get a .mobi version of his book onto my Kindle.   

Get reading and stop using a spreadsheet for your passwords.

No comments:

Post a Comment