Sunday, July 3, 2016

3 July 2016



The success of today was going almost twenty hours without a meal.  I had my usual strong coffee alongside two cans of seltzer for breakfast, accompanied by a few spoonfuls of coconut oil.  After reading in the morning, I put away the kids toys, vacuumed the floors and moved some boxes around in the garage.  I finally made myself go to the gym to squat, press, row and run on the treadmill, after only eating a piece of cheese and some olives.

This summer I have three knife projects going: an old Sysco chef knife, a cheap paring knife I bought from Kroger's in Tennessee and an engraved Bowie-style knife that my new neighbor gave me.  After removing the cheap handles from each, I was appalled at the manufacturer's manner in which they built these knives.  The chef's knife isn't a full tang or hidden tang, it is half a tang, so I plan on drilling a tight hole and putting a pin through the end of the tang.  The paring knife has a full tang, but is essentially hollow, with three holes for pins.  So this one should be basically a regular knife handle project.  The Bowie has zero tang: the handle was connected to a thin length of flattened rod that simple sits in a notch in the bottom of the blade.  I was able to flattened a length of brass rod with a ball peen hammer and a grinder to fit in the notch, so I plan on using alternating small rectangles for the handle, possibly with pieces of leather from an old wallet in between, kinda like this or this.

Time to go take another vinegar bath and eat oxtail soup!


No comments:

Post a Comment