Saturday, July 23, 2016

23 July 2016





I checked out of one hotel due to air conditioning problems, checked into another hotel and then found out that my stained and bacteria encrusted Mach 3 razor handle from a previous millennium had been left behind.  The hotel was kind enough to let me inspect the room, but the maids already threw out the razor, my blood stained towels and my fishing pole.  Oh well.  I was able to butcher my face with a disposable one-bladed Bic yesterday and tomorrow night I'll use my safety razor for a smooth shave.

On my drive from Florida to Alabama last week, I listened to four of the Longform podcasts: episodes 141 (Stephen J. Dubner aka half of Freakanomics), 153 (Tim Ferriss aka the Four Hour everything), 159 (Ira Glass aka Mr. This American Life) and 164 (Lena Dunham of HBO's Girls fame).  I found the first three fascinating and Lena Dunham boring.  Stephen Dubner talked about writing and working with the other Steven on their books.  Tim Ferriss is a very interesting person, but I keep reverting to "Yeah, we'll he's single, no kids, worked his ass off and then sold his business!  Of course he travels the world and does all kinds of cool stuff!"  Ira Glass talked about the beginning of working for NPR and what he almost called his show instead of TAL.  Lena Dunham just seems too young for me and haughty.  I've only seen the first episode of Girls so I'll have to give it another shot.

I used the Stitcher app on my phone to listen to more recent episodes on my phone and enjoyed the Jack Hitt, Kathryn Schulz and Frank Rich episodes.  Many of the Longform interviewees are writers, so now I need to go read Mr. Hitt's "Fiasco", finally read "The Really Big One" on the New Yorker (about the impending earthquake that will impact Washington, Oregon and California) and go watch Veep on HBO.  Since I have to watch, read or listen to media in numerical order, I started over today with episode 1 and got through episode 4.  If you really want to listen to them I figure by now you can navigate to the moving picture experts group layer three file or use an app.  If you have an iPhone, there is a Longform app for it, but apparently none for Android.




No comments:

Post a Comment