Friday, July 1, 2016

1 July 2016

Happy 149th Birthday Canada!

We celebrated Canada Day with some cheap hot dogs and cheeseburgers, which I made into lettuce wraps.  It was decent and I even indulged in a Canada beer, the first beer I have consumed in almost two years.  After I left, I went to pick up my repaired Stihl MS 180, just in case I wanted to turn some fallen trees into firewood this weekend.  On the way, I visited a local gun shop to add to my ammunition stores and see about a holster for a revolver.  After I found a block of 500 rounds, the clerk asked me if I was paying cash or charge.  He beckoned me close and whispered conspiratorially, "Cash is cheaper."  I thought he was going to tell me who shot Kennedy, not the fact that give a discount to folks who ignore the benefit of the float.

On the drive home, I was feeling sleepy from the beer and now I'm fantasizing about brewing specialty cups of coffee.  So, I turn to my trusty pal for anything otaku and found this.  I currently have a 12 cup (which always bothers me, because these machines call 5 ounces a cup, when my cup size is 12 or 18 ounces) Mr. Coffee with a thermal carafe.  I use whole beans and an electric burr grinder.  I used to have a French Press but after a few years use it broke in the dishwasher.  I've heard great things about the Aeropress and even thought about a stovetop version, but according to this site, drip machines aren't even a viable option if I want to be considered a coffee snob.  When the power went out in February, I did put my grounds in steeping bags and pour boiling water over the bags into the carafe, but that method is not recommended nor mentioned on the site linked previously.  Well, now I'm sucked into the noob site so now I have ideas for the morning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment